The course is open to Special Needs Assistants, carers, childcare workers, healthcare workers, social care workers, social workers, parents, teachers and anyone with an interest in the subject area.
This workshop series is especially designed to help those working in challenging behaviours to develop an awareness of where those behaviours may be stemming from and the purpose they serve, and what they are likely to encounter during the course of their work.
This course is priced at €25 per workshop, which can be paid in full or weekly. Run over 5 weeks these 2.5 hour workshops will equip learners with a range of skills and strategies to support their person during their school or work hours.
The workshop series consists of:
Workshop 1 – Autism Awareness – A Brief Overview
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder – the medical model & biopsychosocial model
- Asperger’s Syndrome – the medical model & an Aspie perspective
- Pathological Demand Avoidance
- Diagnosis & Early Intervention
Workshop 2 – Understanding Sensory Processing Disorder
- SPD & the Medical Model
- SPD & The environment
- Our senses and emotions
- Sensory Overload
- Strategies for sensory overload avoidance & management
Workshop 3 – Visual Strategies, Interventions and Supports
- Interventions – pro’s & cons
- Supports – what is your role?
- Visuals – what are they and how do we use them?
Workshop 4 – Challenging Perspectives on Behaviour, Self-Care and Self-Reflective Practice
- Behaviour, inappropriate & challenging
- Perceptions on behaviour
- Our values & belief system
- Behaviour Theory
- Self-Reflective Practice
Workshop 5 – Identifying and Managing Problematic Behaviour & Crisis Situations
- Identifying Problematic Behaviour
- Identifying the cause and purpose behind the behaviour
- Preparing a Behaviour Support Plan
- What to do when crisis occurs
- After crisis