Written by Jeanette Smith 13th May 2020
Love this dish. It’s so versatile and rich, yet simple and plentiful.
I made this up myself, although I’m sure there are others out there that make it, or something similar.
Perhaps you might share some of your pasta, or cream cheese recipes?
- 1 Finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves crushed or finely chopped garlic
- Chillies (optional to taste)
- 6 mushrooms (I only had 4)
- Half of each colour pepper (or whatever you have) finely chopped
- 1 tub of garlic and herb Philadelphia (the shops own brand is just as good for cooking and mine only cost 59c)
- Twin pack of bacon Lardons or pancetta
- Tablespoon parsley
- Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 chicken oxo dissolved in 100ml boiling water
- 1 pint milk (give or take)
Cook up the tagliatelle according to pack instructions, drain, rinse and set aside until you’re ready. While it’s cooking you could prepare your veg.
In a large frying pan, cook the bacon. There’s no need for oil here as there’s enough fat on the Lardons.
Once it’s cooked, add in the chopped vegetables and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
Add in the cream cheese and stir until it’s almost dissolved.
Then slowly add in the oxo stock a little at a time ensuring it’s mixed well. Don’t do this too quickly or it will curdle.
Then add in the milk, pepper and parsley. It will seem quite runny at this stage, but don’t worry, as this sauce will thicken on standing.
Add in the cooked tagliatelle and give it a good stir, ensuring all the pasta is coated.
Serve with garlic bread and grated cheese/parmesan if desired
This dish cost approximately €6 to make, working out at €1 per person!