At times like these, where you’re isolated, in lockdown and may well be short on food. We need all the help and ideas we can get.
This dinner is one of the house favourites. It’s cheap and can be made using very little ingredients. It also takes less than an hour from start to table.
If you’re on a tight budget and trying to make ends meet, and you have a large family to feed, then read on while I tell you about my hot dog pasta.
This dinner serves 6 adults (3 hungry arse adult kids who are all home due to lockdown, us parents and a 13 year old who can eat for Ireland)
For this dinner, the main ingredients cost me less than €2.50. You need just a few other things that you are likely to already have in the kitchen. Even if you had to buy everything, it will cost less than a tenner, with many items being reusable for other meals! So, still less than €2 per head 😍
Items you will need
- Wooden spoon
- Large pan for the sauce
- Pan with lid to cook pasta
- Sharp knife & chopping board
- Colander to drain the pasta
- Whole wheat pasta (0.69c) you can use white pasta either (0.49c)
- Tinned plum tomatoes (0.29c). You can buy them ready chopped if you like, but they cost a few cents more, so we just chop them ourselves in the tin/pan.
- Box of passata (0.49c)
- Packet or jar of hotdogs. (These range from 0.79c to €1.19) We buy the 99c ones in lidl as you get 10 in a pack, the jars usually have 6-8!
From your kitchen
- Oregano or mixed herbs (about a tablespoon)
- One beef and one chicken oxo
- Tomato ketchup-dash (I use the last bits in the bottle and shake it out with a little water)
- Selection of veg, chopped, whatever you have in. I used onion, garlic, yellow pepper, sweetcorn, mushrooms, chilli, leek.
- Salt and pepper
- Oil. Olive oil is best, but vegetable oil is cheapest. Either will be fine for cooking.
How to do it.
Put about half a pan of water on to boil. Add a drop of oil to help prevent sticking.
When it’s boiling, empty the bag of pasta into it. Replace the lid and cook for approximately 15 minutes until the pasta is cooked.
While the pasta is cooking, chop the veg.
In the large pan, put about a tablespoon of oil and heat it up. Add in the vegetables and fry them for a few minutes until soft.
Then add in the tinned tomatoes, passata, oxo’s, ketchup, seasoning and herbs. I rinse the tomato can and passata box with a little water and add it to the pot. This helps it go a little further.
Let the sauce simmer for around 5 minutes. Meanwhile, drain the pasta and then slice up the hotdogs.
Add the hotdogs into the sauce to warm through.
Then add in the pasta.
And serve….sprinkle cheese on top if desired.
Contact us for more hints and tips in the kitchen.