Wouldn’t it be wonderful if everyone knew how to use the motorway correctly? One of the biggest problems we have is that learner drivers are not allowed on the motorway and therefore have no experience of driving on them. I’m not suggesting very new drivers get learner experience on them, but perhaps it would be good to have a couple of lessons on a motorway once your instructor feels you’re ready, should the rules allow it!
Here is my tip for helping the motorways run more efficiently.
- Stay in the left hand lane until you need to overtake another vehicle
- Once you have overtaken the vehicle and once it’s safe to do so, move back into the left lane.
- When there are more than 2 lanes, you can move into the middle lane to overtake someone traveling slower than you and then move back into the left lane.
- If you have moved into the middle lane and need to overtake a vehicle in the middle lane, then you can overtake that vehicle using the right hand/fast lane when it is safe to do so, then move back into the middle and continue back into the left lane.
- There is no need to stay in the middle lane or the fast lane unless you are overtaking.
- If there are no vehicles in the left lane, drive in it. That’s what it’s there for.
It means that those traveling faster than you can pass you easily without having to make an illegal move by passing you on the inside!